Our first nite with Fabio and Tullia introduced us to the neighborhood, including a tower with the Fibonacci number sequence displayed down the side of it, a quick bite to eat at a Kebab place, and our very first Chupito (free!) at a local pub where the bicycle club was meeting. While Fabio and Tullia stayed out late, Hollywood and I headed back to the apartment to get a good nite's sleep.
Our next stop was a little out of the way square, where we hoped to find the Shroud of Turin and a little coffee shop featuring a found-only-in-Turin specality. We found a Church that held plenty of promise for the shroud, but in the end, our thorough investigation came up empty. Besides that, the evening service was starting and we felt the need to sneak out. We were much more successful at locating the coffee as it was just across the square.
After our warming beverages, we braved the cold once again to explore the festive Christmas market while waiting for Fabio and Tullia to meet up with us. While wandering we sampled cheese and salami, and didn't spend all the money we could have...only a bit on a few coke bottle candies! Once our hosts found us, we headed to a local bar to meet friends and to enjoy Aperitivo. For the nominal price of an 8euro beverage, you could eat as much of the 'appetizer bar' as you could! Penne arrabbiata, anchovies, deviled eggs, shrimp, mushroom gnocchi, tomato and bufala cheese, warm bread, and apple struedel for dessert. I know I'm forgetting some things, but those were our highlights.
After stuffing ourselves, we headed up the street for a digestive. I made the mistake of ordering a hot chocolate (my favorite) which was as thick and rich as mud - literally! I didn't have room! The bar was a small Moroccan place and in the lounge area all of the seats were 12 inches off the floor! We were all squished together, which made for a wonderfully tight knit circle of conversation.
Lazy day #2 was REALLY lazy. Hollywood and I spent a couple (ahem...bunch) of hours reading and computing, then headed out to brave the elements for a short tour around the local area. We walked toward the hills and discovered an indoor holiday fair.
The highlight of Monday was meeting Flavia, Tullia's older sister. We enjoyed lunch and a nice chat, then Hollywood and I headed into town to secure seats for the next day's train trip. We also picked up a Cyclamen and grisini to enjoy with F&T. That night Hollywood made two Spanish Tortillas for dinner, which Fabio very much enjoyed after a soccer match, but Tullia missed due to work. We turned in knowing the morning would lead us on to the next adventure.
Evan , You and Princess should do a travel book from this expedition. It would be fabulous and you have such beautiful pictures to put in it. Just save all the blogs and make a book. It would make a great coffee table book on Travels in Europe ! . I am so jealous. Going to Paris is on my List of things to do before I die. Your pictures are so beautiful !
ReplyDelete